Ramping up operations of a rapidly growing non-profit is a challenge without a guideline that includes policies, roles, functions and process improvements. NEEDeed used its expertise to draw up a Governance Handbook and supporting policies.
Youth LEAD is a youth-led organisation that works with young people, aged 14 to 25, who are either directly affected by HIV or at high risk of HIV infection. Youth LEAD needed a governance framework to manage its rapidly growing and expanding initiatives across Asia and the Pacific.
- Setup: Understanding Youth LEAD’s needs and its actual capabilities in terms of the collaboration. This included expanding the scope of work and taking a look at how the organisation’s structure would be able to support its long term goals.
- Phase One: Consultation with stakeholders on the current and future organisational structure.
- Phase Two: Defining a new organisational and governance structure.
- Phase Three: Documenting the new structure and supporting governance in a handbook. With NEEDeed managing the project, professionals conducted rounds of interviews with stakeholders, consulted with the organisation on the outcome, delivered proposed organisational and governance structures and finally developed the Governance Handbook which was approved by Youth LEAD`s Annual General Assembly.
- Defined roles and duties of governing bodies and affiliated entities.
- Outlined the optimal organisational structure to support the growth of Youth LEAD.
- Defined knowledge and behaviours required to be effective in project management.
- Setting up for potential expansion of organisation.